|Format||Animated television series|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||26|
Jim Hope (co-)
|Running time||10 minutes (5 minutes per segments)|
|Original channel||Nickelodeon (2010-2011)
|Original Air Date|| October 2, 2010 –
February 15, 2013
The series premiered on October 2, 2010 on Nickelodeon, where it would continue to air until August 2011. On May 4, 2012, the remainder of the series aired on Nicktoons until the last episode on February 15, 2013.
The series was a critical and commercial failure, causing it to be cancelled after one season and twenty-six episodes.
One day, Sheen sneaks into Jimmy's lab, finds Jimmy's new experimental rocket ship and accidentally blasts himself into outer space. Four million and one light years away, Sheen crash-lands on Zeenu -- a strange Dr. Seuss-like planet inhabited by purple and pink aliens called Zeenuians. After using their bathroom, Sheen wants to go home, but his rocketship got smashed in the crash, and it's his only ride. Luckily, Sheen makes some new friends on Zeenu including; Mr. Nesmith-- a super intelligent chimp, Aseefa-- a beautiful Glimmorian princess who becomes Sheen's new love interest and Doppy-- a slug-like creature who looks and acts a exactly like Carl.
Unfortunately, an evil villain named Dorkus is super mad that Sheen destroyed his house in the crash and he's now bent on destroying the pesky Earth boy! With the help of his new friends, can Sheen survive the evil plots of Dorkus and repair his rocket so he can get back to Earth before anyone notices he's gone?
- Main article: List of Planet Sheen episodes
The series was originally going to be a show called Red Acres. The concept was to be about a fast food worker who got launched into space, eventually crash landing onto a planet with hillbilly aliens, but Nickelodeon didn't pick it up. The producers then decided to make it about Carl and Sheen stealing Jimmy's rocket and landing on a strange planet, but executives erased Carl from the series and made it just about Sheen. However, the producers still wanted Carl involved, so Doppy (Carl's alien double) was created.
Jeff Garcia reunites for the series as the voice of Sheen, along with new cast members, Bob Joles, Soleil Moon Fyre, Fred Tatasciore, and Thomas Lennon as the voices of Mr. Nesmith, Aseefa, The Emperor, and Pinter, and ones from the original series, Rob Paulsen, Candi Milo, and Jeff Bennett (the voices of Carl, Nick, Brittany, and Sydney Moist) as the voices of Doppy, Chock Chock, Princess Oom, Dorkus and Grish. Besides Sheen, none of the other Jimmy Neutron characters appeared. However, Carl had a cameo in Is This Cute? and Ultra Lord made a special guest appearance in Cutting the Ultra-Cord with Jim Cummings respiring his voice in that episode.
Originally, the Emperor was going to be evil and the show would've focused on Sheen being a double agent for the Emporer and the Resistance (led by Aseefa). This was dropped because it was too similar James Cameron's movie, Avatar.
Planet Sheen was critically panned by critics and audiences alike. It has been criticized for making Sheen (the comic relief) the main focus, not using any of the original cast, lack of character development, cheap attempts at humor and because of Sheen’s serious character derailment. As a result, the show got very low ratings and was cancelled after only one season. To this very day, it is considered one of the worst spin-offs of all time and one of the worst Nickelodeon shows of all time.
In a Nickelodeon podcast, John A. Davis admitted that Sheen was only a character who worked in small doses. Debi Derryberry, Rob Paulsen, and Jeff Garcia had also revealed in another podcast that a good way to revive the original series would be to start with Sheen immediately crashing back onto Earth because they preferred the original formula as well.
This show also has a 3.4/10 rating on IMDb.
- Jeff Garcia as Sheen Estevez
- Bob Joles as Mr. Nesmith
- Rob Paulsen as Doppy
- Soleil Moon Frye as Aseefa
- Jeff Bennett as Dorkus
- Candi Milo as Princess Oom
- Fred Tatasciore as The Emperor
- Thomas Lennon as Pinter
- Jimmy is mentioned in the pilot when Sheen questions the initials on the rocket.
- Since the show only lasted one season, Sheen is never seen returning to Earth. However, it is implied in the Jimmy Neutron episode The Tomorrow Boys that Sheen did return to Earth. There's also speculation that Planet Sheen might be non-canon. However, that's just fan speculation for now.
- There was supposed to be a finale movie that focused on Jimmy and the gang going to rescue Sheen, but due to low ratings, production costs and several writers moving on, the movie was cancelled.
- During the week leading up to the show's premiere episode, there was a marathon of five Jimmy Neutron episodes focusing on Sheen called "Sheen's Greatest Scenes". These were; Crime Sheen Investigation, Sheen's Brain, The Tomorrow Boys, Crouching Jimmy, Hidden Sheen and El Magnifico.
- This is the first Nicktoon spin-off not to be part of the Rugrats franchise.
- This show was premiere on Jeff Bennett's birthday.