Nicholas "Nick" Dean is a supporting character in the franchise.
"Nick is the coolest guy in Retroville (or at least in Jimmy Neutron's class). Nick is the oldest of Jimmy's friends (having repeated the 4th grade as a result of chronic tardiness) who talks a good game and likes to dish out "mature" advice, but Nick is a high maintenance kind of guy, and when the chips are down, so is he."
Nick is a handsome tan-skinned boy with styled black hair that has two long bangs in the front and brown eyes. He wears a blue jacket with a white shirt under it in the movie and the first season, though he changes into a black leather jacket in the second half of the second season and for the rest of the series (for unknown reasons). However, he does still have his old outfit in merchandise and printed media. He wears a pair of dark blue hi-top Converse sneakers that matched his blue jacket, blue jeans in each of his appearances, and a black string necklace with a gold ring tied to it around his neck.
Nick has shown to act like a jerk as he is pessimistic, arrogant, snarky, and cynical. However, he is a kind and compassionate guy deep down with a heart. He can sing operatic German, which he only does secretly as he thinks it is uncool, he can style his hair without using his hands, and he is very vain about his hair, often flipping it around.
He sometimes breaks his leg due to reckless stunts on his skateboard and becomes known for his high-pitched scream that he lets out when this happens.
Nick and Sheen Estevez argue a lot because Nick finds Sheen annoying and immature, and the fact that Nick has a bad temper. Even though he acts like a jerk, Nick is kind and has a heart. He just doesn't want people to know that, since it would be bad for his reputation.
- "Oh, my feet stink! - See Jimmy Run
- "Dude, you're not a dude!!" - See Jimmy Run
- "Dude, my 'do is RUINED!!!" - Attack of the Twonkies
- "I'm gonna style my hair without using my hands. Can I get a drumroll, please?" - Broadcast Blues
- "Whatever, Neutron. But there's only one opening night, and anybody who matters is gonna be there!" (skates into the alley) - Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
- "Augh, what's that smell?!" - Phantom of Retroland
- "Whoa! Check it out! Neutron has the moves!!" - Send in the Clones
- "Let me respond to that in the following way..." -Crime Sheen Investigation
- "I officially declare this party OVER... Out of my way, Shine!!" - Party at Neutron's
- "Augh!! I broke my leg!!" - My Big Fat Spy Wedding, Out, Darn Spotlight
- "Hey, Neutron. What did the Yokians give you?" - The Eggpire Strikes Back
- (mutters helplessly) "No more leeches, Mama! No more leeches, Mama! No more leeches, Mama!" -Journey to the Center of Carl
- "Why do I date rock stars? Because I can! (HONK!!!) Whoa! What have you done, Neutron?! I'm not beautiful anymore! Oh, wait... (holds up a mirror) Yeah, I am." (HONK!!!) - The Trouble with Clones
- "Why does this keep happening to me?!" - League of Villains
- "You know, these are as cool as...me!" - Krunch Time
- "Well, let's think about that, Sheen... Maybe sit on the shelf because HE'S A DOLL?!"- Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
- "Hey, watch it, Neutron!" - Out, Darn Spotlight
- "Oh, my God! You are such a baby!" - Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
- "An anti-gravity skateboard! Thanks, creepy alien dudes!" - The Eggpire Strikes Back
- "I never said that!" - Crime Sheen Investigation
- "Like me?" - Professor Calamitous, I Presume
- "Okay, I will." - The Eggpire Strikes Back
- "Everyone knows about the Phantom. He wears a long black cape, he has a log of salami for a right leg, and he stalks the park after dark, looking for victims to eat!" - The Phantom of Retroland
- "Okay, Neutron, here's the lowdown. You get us to those kidnapping alien scuzballs, and I'll take it from there. We're getting our parents back!" - Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
- "Parents!? What, are you guys gonna be kids forever!? What your parents don't know won't hurt 'em, right?" - Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
- "Just think, if you bone-headed dweebs had listened to your parents, you'd be home in bed instead of riding this monster!" - Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
- "Hey, cool spear." - Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
- "Mind if I try?!" - Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
- "He busted my skateboard, dude!" - Send in the Clones
- "It's Neutron, with that weird kid strapped to his hovercar!" - Attack of the Twonkies
- (using Jimmy's jet-pack around his house) "Check me out, dudes! I'm 'Super Nick'!" -Party at Neutron's
- Jimmy Neutron always ends up in trouble whenever he takes Nick's advice.
- A running gag in later episodes (starting in Out, Darn Spotlight) is that Nick breaks his leg from time to time due to reckless stunts, usually on his skateboard, leading some fans to speculate about the possibility of him having a permanent limp or knee injury later in life. It was revealed in "The League of Villains" that Nick has lost his coolness, due to him always breaking his leg.
- Nick was originally a main character throughout the movie and season one, from the second season onwards, he became a secondary character. He was going to rejoin the main cast in the cancelled season four, however and would've continued to develop his character and his relationships with Jimmy and the gang.
- One fan theory of why Nick lost his main character status is that Libby Folfax took his place as she started be used more and more.
- Jimmy, Nick, and Ike are the only male characters to be voiced by actresses.
- Nick and Betty Quinlan playing Macbeth and Lady Macbeth in Out, Darn Spotlight could've been a reference to the fact that Jimmy and Cindy Vortex both have had crushes on them. It could also show hints that Nick and Betty are a real and actual couple after they get the roles.
- However, since he usually never interacts with Betty or other girls, then the thought that he Betty are a real couple may not be confirmed yet.
- In the movie, Nick was always holding a purple lollipop, but this was later removed in the show, with the exception being The Eggpire Strikes Back.
- Nick probably wears briefs, as seen in The Trouble with Clones, where his evil clone was given a wedgie.
- Aside from Butch, Nick is the only character in the franchise who never refers to Jimmy by his first name, as Nick only refers to him as "Neutron", "Nerd Bomb" or "Boy Wonder". Although he does use Jimmy's first name in a few storybooks and in Make Room for Daddy-O.
- In the film, when the children reunite with their parents, Nick is shown with just a mother. This makes Nick the only one of Jimmy's friends not to have a father. He is also one of the two characters we know who has a single parent.
- The other person who has a single parent is Sheen Estevez.
- A running gag in the series is that Nick often forgets Sheen's name, no matter how many times he tells him to which he usually replies with a "Whatever", implying he doesn't care about names or he might be anti-social.
- Nick's last name is a reference to James Dean, who is best known for playing similar "bad boy" roles.
- Many of the times that Nick has broken his leg have been because of repeated tries to jump a fire hydrant while skateboarding. He should stop doing that.
- Cindy had a crush on Nick in the movie and early episodes and would often try to get his attention, but Jimmy kept ruining her chances with him due to his endless pranks. Her chances were ruined once and for all in Trading Faces when Jimmy made Cindy look like a fool in front of Nick. However, Nick and Cindy do remain friends.
- Originally, Nick was going to be black and more of a basketball jock, but he was changed to Brazilian and more of a bad boy. He and Libby were also going to be cousins.
- In the movie, Nick's voice was more scratchy and high pitched, but his voice is a bit more deep and clear in the series.
- His shoes are the exact same as Sheen's, but in royal blue.
- In the movie, Nick was more neutral, but he became a lot more nicer to Jimmy and his friends.
- When Nick was reduced to a supporting character onward, he was portrayed much differently and usually appeared as a background character. Nick however does make several official appearances in the episodes Sheen's Brain, Send in the Clones, Out, Darn Spotlight, Attack of the Twonkies, Lights! Camera! Danger!, My Big Fat Spy Wedding, Crouching Jimmy, Hidden Sheen, The Incredible Shrinking Town, The Trouble with Clones, and The League of Villains.
- Not counting Libby, Nick is the only character to change character statues throughout the series.
- Nick's new black leather jacket was introduced in Jimmy for President and was kept for the rest of the series. However, because it was so much more remembered by fans, his original blue one made a special appearance in two later episodes Holly Jolly Jimmy, and Love Potion 976/J.
- In Jimmy Neutron: Attack of the Twonkies for GameCube, Nick has white skin.
- In Lady Sings the News, it is revealed that Nick had broken his leg 15 times a year and will break it again after making a full recovery.
- He and Sheen are the only characters who are Latin-American.
Minor and One-Shot Characters: Ultra Lord | April the Gorlock | Captain Betty | Commander Baker | Corky Shimatzu | General Abercrombie | Flippy | Jet Fusion | Amanda Neutron | Kari Neutron | Anabelle Neutron | Gomer Neutron | Granny Neutron | Newt Neutron | VOX | Ebenezer Wheezer | Martha Wheezer |